25 March 2012

Makeup Shakeup #1

Hey girls!

This is going to be a new, "recurring" thing on this blog - once in a while (because, as we all know, this blog does not seem to run on any semblance of a schedule), I am going to write a little post about what I am using to do my makeup in the mornings. There are going to be weeks where I don't actually post one of these "makeup shakeup" posts (thanks to Gemma at Gemsmaquillage for the concept!), because I won't change what I'm doing very drastically from day to day. Obviously I'm not going to do an entirely new post when I change bronzers, or blushes alone. I'll only repost when a number of things are switched up. I seem to have quite a bit of makeup, so I'm trying very hard to use some of what I have up before I invest in any more.

Lately, I have been going for quite a simple, "barely there" makeup look - part of this is because my office isn't the kind of place to wear neon eyeshadows, and partly because I'm usually getting ready at about 6:30 in the morning, and I am only half-awake doing this. It's got to be zombie-proof!

So, here's all that I've been using of late:



Even with all of these products, I am able to get ready for work in about 20 minutes, which, for someone who used to take about an hour at it, is actually a feat! 

The image I took excludes things like my moisturizer, which I will always use before makeup, so I don't really count it as makeup, it's in my general "skincare" category (If you do want to know which moisturizer I use, I'll be more than happy to review it, as I love it!). It also excludes any brushes or other tools that I use, as those are also not makeup! :P

Anyway, what I do have in there are things that I've been using on the regular for the past week or so. There will be a list after I'm through rambling away here about how and why I do my makeup in the morning of all of the products I've been using recently. There are 22 products in total, but some it takes about 20 seconds to use and then I'm through with that one and on to the next! That's my justification, anyway.

So, to the meat of the subject! Every morning, before I go to work (or before I reveal my face to the general world around me), I do a full face of makeup. Not only is this to cover any minor imperfections (acne, scarring, etc.) on my part, but also to stop me from terrifying anyone who might see me (ie. small children, the elderly, anyone who is afraid of zombies). I seem to have an assortment of things that are "wrong" with my skin lately. I do not know why, but it's acting up really badly these last few weeks. I went from having really dry, literally flaky skin, to half-oily and literally acne riddled skin. Concealer has been my best friend, lately, and the Erase Paste you see is nearly empty, and it makes me sad. 

I also recently bought the Stila Smudge Pot in Kitten, which I had been searching for in stores near me for I can't tell you how long! I was trying to be very good and not purchase it online, because I hate having to deal with shipping costs, and the fact that often times my packages get stuck in customs (I had one stuck in for nearly a month once), which then winds up costing more money. On a typical bestie-date with my friend, we wandered into Sephora. My lucky day! This was the last one in the shade I had so coveted left in the store. I was/am ridiculously pleased that I was able to pick it up. It functions a lot like the Mac Paint Pots, or now the Maybelline 24 Hour Colour Tattoo Shadows (try saying that five times fast). I've never tried paint pots to know how they stand up, but I know the Maybelline ones work quite nicely for me, they just don't seem to have a colour close to this champagne-gold. I wear it under eyeshadow. I've been trying to "shop my collection" to find a colour close enough to the actual kitten colour that I don't have to actually shell out the money for the real shade (Thank heavens for Temptalia's Dupe List, let me tell you!). I've found a few that work, so in an effort to reduce the physical size of the things I have to handle in the mornings, I have been using the lighter of the two shades in my NARS Silk Road duo. It's a tick more yellow than the smudge pot is, but it still looks nice. I may try using Mac's Naked Lunch over it next…

Anyway,  I've also really been into cream blushes lately. Unfortunately, I seem to only have three to choose from, and one of the colours doesn't suit the spring/summer season. Bummer. I'm using the (possibly discontinued) Maybelline Dream Mousse blush in peach satin, because it gives a really pretty flush without looking like I have six inches of makeup caked on my face. It also blends really nicely, which I like. I'm going to be sad if they've discontinued these in favour of the new Dream Bouncy blushes. I've actually been using this type of blush (not this exact pot) since high school. I've repurchased them several times over! 

Anyway, I've pretty well run out of things to say, and I don't want to get into reviewing every product on the list, so, that said, here's the list of things I've been using every day:

1. Benefit Eye Bright Pencil
2. Urban Decay 24/7 Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner
3. NARS eyeshadow in Abyssinia
4. Makeup Forever Aqua Eyes Pencil in 0L (it's black)
5. Tarte Amazonian Clay Bronzer in Park Ave Princess (sample sized)
6. Benefit Erase Paste in Shade 2
7. Maybelline Great Lash Lots of Lashes Mascara (Blackest Black)
8. Mac Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder
9. Stila Smudge Pot in Kitten
10. Garnier Skin Renew Anti-Dark Circle Roller
11. Urban Decay All-Nighter Makeup Setting Spray
12. NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Cottage Cheese
13. Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion (regular shade)
14. Mac Lipstick (shade may vary - this one is in "Chatterbox")
15. Maybelline Dream Mousse Blush in #20 Peach Satin
16. Urban Decay Skyscraper Multi-Benefit Mascara
17. Skin 79 Super + BB Cream
18. NARS eyeshadow duo in Silk Road
19. NARS eyeshadow in Cyprus
20. Tarte ReCreate Primer (Sample Sized)
21. NARS Multiple in Copacabana
22. Anastasia Beverly Hills Clear Brow Gel

That's it! If you have any recommendations of products I need to try, especially if those products are cream blushes, please do let me know! 

Hope you're all having an excellent day!

xoxo,
-A. 

No comments:

Post a Comment